For Baptism and Confirmation
We ask that you use this reflection sheet in order for you to evaluate your readiness to be a godparent or Confirmation sponsor. The baby or young adult that you will be a sponsor for has a right to a committed Catholic (or in the case of a Christian Witness at baptism – a committed Christian) as a role model in faith. Being a godparent/sponsor is a sacred privilege and responsibility. God takes the vows sworn at baptism very seriously.
Please use this reflection sheet to evaluate your readiness to be a sponsor.
Jesus teaches that we must love God with all our hearts, souls, minds, and strength.)
· How often do I pray?
· Do I pray out of love of God or is my prayer mostly asking for things?
· Do I set special time aside for prayer?
· Do I pray with my spouse/family?
· How do I keep holy the Lord's day?
· Do I worship God with my brothers and sisters on a weekly basis?
· Do I love Jesus in the Eucharist? Do I show this love by receiving Communion regularly?
· Do I strive to live by God's commands?
· Do I give the first fruits of my material blessing to the Lord as scripture demands? (Malachi 3:8-10)
· On a scale of one to ten my prayer life is a _____?
The bible teaches we are a part of Christ's body and must use our gifts and talents to build up the Church (1 Cor. 12:12-27)
· How involved am I in my parish?
· Am I a good steward of my time and talent, using my God given gifts for the sake of His family?
· Do I give a good example to others in living the Christian Faith?
· Do I pray with God’s family?
· On a scale of one to ten my participation in the family of God is a _______.
Cannon Law and a Sponsor for Baptism
Insofar as possible one to be baptized is to be given a sponsor who is to assist an adult in Christiam Initiation, or, together with the parents, to present an infant at the baptism, and who will help the baptized to lead a Christian life in harmony with baptism, and to fulfill faithfully the obligatios connected with it.
Only one male or one female sponsor or one of each sex is to be employed.
A. To be admitted to the role of sponsor, a person must:
1. Be designated by the one to be baptized, by the parents or the one who takes their place or, in their absence, by the pastor or minister and is to have the qualifications and intention of performing this role;
2. have completed the sixteenth year, unless a different age has been established by the diocesan bishop or it seems to the pastor or minister that an exception is to be made for a just cause;
3. be a Catholic that has been confirmed and has already received the sacrament of the Most Holy Eucharist and leads a life in harmony with the faith and the role to be undertaken;
4. not be bound by any canonical penalty legitimately imposed or declared;
5. not be the father or the mother of the one to be baptized.
B. A baptized person who belongs to a non-Catholic Ecclesial community may not be admitted except as a witness to baptism and together with a Catholic sponsor.
Weekend Mass Schedule
Weekday Mass Schedule
12060 Kinsman Rd.
Newbury, Ohio 44065